Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Merchandising, Legos and carbonite

Those of you who know me have realized by now that I'm a little bit of a nerd. I mean, when my yoga instructor misquoted Yoda the other day I corrected him (and was met with snickers instead of thanks, by the way).


Before the Star Wars franchise was prostituted by George Lucas in 1999 and turned into a cheap cartoonish shell of its former greatness, it represented some of the best movie-watching memories of my childhood. I'm sure (or at least I'm hoping) that many of you can relate.


Remember Han Solo? Of course you do, because he was awesome. On a scale of 1 to Indiana Jones Han solo was a 9.7, and quite possibly my first crush ever. So...


....I gotta admit, when Han Solo was frozen in carbonite, I was very upset. The scene moved me to my very core and thank goodness Leia rescued him, because I just don't know how I would have recovered and moved on with my life.


Sigh. Good times.


So today I was doing some online browsing on a couple of blogs and sites I follow, and found something truly special and brilliant:


Yes, that's exactly what you think it is. A Han Solo frozen-in-carbonite Lego Minifigure. I literally did three backflips out of sheer joy.....ok well I don't actually have the physical ability to do a backflip, but you get the idea. How wonderful to have such an important piece of cinematic pop culture immortalized by the greatest toy on Earth, a Lego! Tremendous.


It actually brought back a memory of something I'd been shown a while ago, and a little Google image search produced this:


That's right. Some guy made a life-sized model of Han Solo in carbonite out of Legos. Be impressed. Be very impressed.


SO....


I wondered what else is out there? Who else has used Han's chilly metallic fate to make a few bucks off Star Wars junkies like myself? So of course I did a little more Googling, and came up with the top 10 Han Solo frozen in carbonite merchandise available on the internet to anyone with a sense of humor and a PayPal account. I've already showed the Lego Minifigure, but here are the other 9:


#9

Han Solo Pop t-shirt

Because it's clever and funny and the only thing on my list that isn't gray.


#8

Han Solo throw blanket

Yes, it's ironic.


#7

Han Solo USB

Because they're making anything into a USB stick these days.


#6

Carbonite soap

In case you would like to clean yourself with a piece of movie greatness.


#5

Han Solo In carbonite swiveling bookshelf

A must-have for Star Wars collectible collectors. One side is a bookshelf for all your Star Wars memorabilia, and the other side is a life-sized block of shiny frozen greatness. See it in action here.


#4

Chocolate mold

Similar to the soap, but you can eat it so it's ranked higher.


#3

Han Solo cup

get it?


#2

Han Solo Adidas SL-72 sneakers

For the trendy geek. You may think this is a little much, until you see....


#1

Han Solo frozen in carbonite desk.

Some things just don't need to be commented on.

1 comment:

  1. you can get a custom "you" frozen in carbonite here:

    http://www.paulpapedesigns.com/Store_GG.html

    ReplyDelete